There is limited luggage space on board and the SJ staff cannot help you lift luggage when embarking/disembarking due to occupational health and safety. It is therefore important that you do not bring more or heavier luggage with than you can easily carry yourself.
Read some simple rules that will make your journey both comfortable and safe:
- The basic rule is that each person may bring with them no more than two bags (maximum dimensions 80x50x35 cm, maximum weight 20 kg) and a small hand luggage. In addition to the above mentioned, you may carry one piece of special luggage, read more about this further down.
- When boarding, we ask you to only place large bags in the luggage racks at either end of the carriage. Smaller bags almost always fit in the luggage rack above your seat. For safety reasons, you must never place luggage in the aisle or in front of the train doors.
- As a traveller, you are responsible for putting your luggage in the right place and keeping watch over it during the entire journey.
- It is not allowed to bring items that are dangerous, disruptive or that infringe upon your fellow travellers’ space. Make sure that your luggage is packaged well, does not have any sharp corners or edges, or that it does not risk damaging or dirtying fellow travellers or furnishings.
- For safety reasons, SJ staff have the right to refuse travellers who do not oblige to SJ’s luggage rules boarding the train.
- Note that replacement buses may have limited space inside the bus, which means all luggage, including hand luggage, cabin baggage and musical instruments, may need to be placed in the luggage compartment. The bus driver is responsible for the safety assesment regarding luggage on board the bus.
Rules for special luggage
- Strollers are to be folded well in advance of embarking and should be put away so it does not disturb the accesibility on board. An unfolded stroller may only be brought on board if space permits it. Unfolded strollers may never be placed by the train doors or escape routes. It is not allowed to book a wheelchair space for the purpose of placing a stroller there as this means that customers who have to book a wheelchair space have less opportunity to travel.
- Wheelchair/mobility scooter Wheelchair space must always be booked for wheelchairs/mobility scooters. This applies to both trains with seat reservation and trains without seat reservation, read more about different trains here. For safety reasons, SJ only allows wheelchairs/mobility scooters that fulfil SJ's length and size requirements on board. Access is denied if the dimensions exceed the requirements or if you have not booked a wheelchair space. Only wheelchair and mobility scooter users are allowed to book a wheelchair space.
- Ski and golf equipment is to be place in a bag and placed so that it cannot fall over.
- Electric scooters and smaller folding bicycles are to be folded and placed in the luggage racks at either end of the carriage or under the seat in front of you. They may not be placed on the overhead luggage racks.
- Charging large lithium batteries: It is not allowed to charge electric scooters or larger lithium batteries on board the train.
- Bicycles are to be disassembled or folded and stored in a bicycle bag before embarking (maximum dimensions 140x85x30 cm, maximum weight 25 kg including both bicycle and bag). The bag must be placed on a vacant floor space as instructed by the onboard staff. The bag must not portrude into the aisle or block doors.
- Larger musical instruments (e.g. double bass) are to be stored in an instrument case and placed on a vacant floor space as instructed by the onboard staff.
- Note that for safety reasons, the onboard staff may be forced to refuse special luggage on board if there is no room for the luggage on board.
- We recommend that you choose a departure that does not run during peak hours if you want to bring larger luggage as stated above.
Thank you for following these luggage rules! For us, the rules contribute to increased punctuality and safer onboard environment.
We wish you an enjoyable journey!